Wild cats, prophecies, and warrior clans are at the center of the Warriors universe created by Erin Hunter in 2003. Fans of the series are kept busy with the numerous works included in this universe, and those just stumbling upon it are excited at how much content there is to devour. So how many books are there?
There are 80+ books in the Warriors universe. The Warriors books began with a six-part series. The universe has since grown to include several sub-series comprising 36 books, 14 standalone novels, and 40 other publications, including short stories, graphic novels, and field guides.
If you are looking for a new book collection to dive into or in the middle of the warrior cat universe and wondering how many works you have waiting for you, this is the article for you. Read on to learn more about the main series, the sub-series, and the other works in the collection.
The Six Primary Warriors Books
Though the Warriors book series has grown to more than 80 publications, it all started with the first six books. This group has since been renamed “The Prophecies Begin” series and is our first introduction to the four clans of wild cats and the warrior code.
Erin Hunter, a collective pen name for the four authors who authored the series, first created this world for young adult readers in the early 2000s. The six novels in the original series include:
- Into the Wild: The first book in the series introduces the four Clans and the arising conflict between the ThunderClan cats and the ShadowClan.
- Fire and Ice: The second book in the series follows a ThunderClan cat, Fireheart, and his troubles as his Clan and their rivals RiverClan and WindClan face imminent battle.
- Forest of Secrets: In the third book, allegiances are shifting, and tensions are rising among the warrior cats. Fireheart also works to uncover the truth behind the mysterious death of a fellow ThunderClan.
- Rising Storm: In Rising Storm, Fireheart’s enemy has been exiled from the Clan but may still be waiting to pounce. Meanwhile, every cat in the forest is anticipating a bad storm as evil omens, and shocking secrets are revealed.
- A Dangerous Path: In A Dangerous Path, Fireheart’s old enemy has been named the new leader of the ShadowClan, and a mysterious threat places every cat’s life in danger.
- The Darkest Hour: In the last book of the series, Fireheart must face his destiny, prophecies will unfold, and heroes will rise.
The Warriors books quickly became popular among their readers, and the universe expanded. Over the next several years, numerous sub-series were published, exploring the different Clans, new characters, and other corners of the warrior cat universe.
As of 2022, there are six completed sub-series, each consisting of six books:
- The New Prophecy: The first sub-series of the Warriors books was written between 2005 and 2006. This series follows the next generation of warrior cats facing a new prophecy that threatens the entire forest.
- Power of Three: The following sub-series follows three kittens from the ThunderClan who are meant to become apprentices but have dark secrets surrounding them and a prophecy to deal with. These books were released between 2007 and 2009.
- Omen of the Stars: Omen of the Stars came out between 2009 and 2012. Three young StarClan cats are drawn together in this series by a prophecy that threatens the balance between the warrior Clans.
- Dawn of the Clans: This series, published between 2013 and 2015, tells of the origins of the cat Clans.
- A Vision of Shadows: This series picks up where Omen of the Stars left off and was published between 2016 and 2018.
- The Broken Code: This continuation tells of the events that unfolded after A Vision of Shadows. It was released between 2019 and 2021.
In 2022, Erin Hunter started another sub-series in the Warriors universe, A Starless Clan. This series will follow the Clans through the fallout of a destructive leader and a changing code. The first book of this series, River, was released in April 2022.
You can buy each of the completed sub-series as box sets or purchase audiobook versions if you want to listen to the books on the go.
Warriors Super Editions
In addition to the 40+ books in the Warriors series, 14 standalone super edition books go into more detail about the clans and the characters in the series. These books were written sporadically between 2007 and 2021 and, so far, include:
- Firestar’s Quest
- Bluestar’s Prophecy
- SkyClan’s Destiny
- Crookedstar’s Promise
- Yellowfang’s Secret
- Tallstar’s Revenge
- Bramblestar’s Storm
- Moth Flight’s Vision
- Hawkwing’s Journey
- Tigerheart’s Shadow
- Crowfeather’s Trial
- Squirrelflight’s Hope
- Graystripe’s Vow
- Leopardstar’s Honor
Other Works in the Warriors Universe
If you still can’t get enough of the warrior cats after going through all of the series and the super editions, there is still more content to go through, including:
- Manga: The manga series consists of 18 works that give a graphic representation of the cats’ universe. The books in the manga series tie in with the various sub-series.
- Novellas: 16 standalone novellas or short stories in the universe were published between 2012 and 2021.
- Field Guides: The six field guides take you deeper into the universe and detail the cats, Clans, and battles.
With the release of the newest sub-series, this list of other works may continue to grow in the coming years.
Erin Hunter has struck gold with this fan-favorite series and was able to expand on the original series to create an entire universe with 80+ publications and counting.
If you are interested in diving into the world of the warrior cats, you should start by reading The Prophecies Begin series and work through the additional sub-series. If you’d like to dive deeper into the Clans, the cats, and the universe, you should check out the 40 other works that supplement the series.
With the newest subseries underway, you’ll have even more content in the coming years. Happy reading!