Entertainment is an essential part of life, as it makes the experience of living more exciting and varied. Doing an entertaining activity can refresh your mind, make you happy, and enrich your life. There are many types of entertainment, including watching TV, listening to music, exercising, and playing video games.
Books are entertainment for some people because entertainment is anything that provides pleasure, amusement, or diversion. For many, reading a book is an enjoyable escape from everyday life, which is entertainment.
In the rest of this article, I’ll explain in greater detail why books are sources of entertainment. I’ll also discuss some of the advantages of reading books for entertainment so you may be inspired to pick up a book the next time you’re feeling bored or need a change of pace. Finally, I’ll offer recommendations for how to enjoy reading more if you don’t find books entertaining.
Why Are Books Sources of Entertainment?
Books are sources of entertainment because they can provide readers pleasure, amusement, and diversion. Entertainment is an activity designed to provide enjoyment and stimulation to others, and a book does just that.
Many different activities are considered entertainment because the defining qualities of entertainment are vague and encompassing. Essentially, entertainment is anything that is engaging to those consuming the source. Therefore, entertainment could include any of the following:
- Watching TV or movies
- Listening to music
- Playing sports
- Playing video games
- Going to a bar or restaurant
- Visiting a museum or art gallery
- Going to a concert, play, or other performance
While these are all great options for entertainment, one of the best ways to entertain yourself is with a book. Depending on the book, it can be pleasurable, funny, distracting, educational, and more, but they are almost always entertaining!
Advantages of Books as Entertainment
Any kind of entertainment is good for the soul and relieves stress, but books are one of the best forms of entertainment for various reasons. Here’s why reading is a great way to entertain yourself:
- They don’t lose battery or require a power source. Other forms of entertainment, such as surfing the web, playing video games, and watching TV or movies, require devices that need a power source or can lose battery. Physical books (not ebooks) can be read even if you don’t have power, and they won’t run out of battery!
- Books are affordable if you can access a public library and a library card. Some sources of entertainment can be expensive, and books can certainly be pricey if you buy them frequently, but if you have access to a public library and a library card, you can borrow them for free.
- There are a wide variety of options. No matter what you’re interested in or entertained by, you’ll be able to find a book to suit your preferences.
- Books keep your brain mentally active. Books require the reader to visualize and analyze things as they read, which keeps the brain working hard, even though you’re doing something fun. Additionally, reading helps improve one’s vocabulary, develop writing and speaking skills, and one’s ability to concentrate.
- Reading increases one’s ability to empathize. According to research, people who read literary fiction have a better ability to understand and empathize with the beliefs and feelings of other people.
- Reading a book reduces stress. Most sources of entertainment reduce stress, but reading is perhaps the most effective. In 2009, researchers discovered that just thirty minutes of reading lowered participants’ blood pressure, heart rate, and psychological distress.
- Books provide an opportunity for social connection. If you’re an avid reader, you can join a book club or online book forums to discuss what you’ve read with others.
- Reading regularly helps prevent some illnesses. Keeping your brain active is important for your health, especially as you age. Research has shown that reading consistently can slow the progression of some illnesses, such as Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Books have many benefits beyond entertainment, so the next time you’re bored and need to entertain yourself, I recommend picking up a book!
How To Enjoy Reading
Some people don’t find reading as entertaining as other activities, such as watching TV or playing video games. If you’re in this situation, there are some things you can do to make reading more fun. Here are some recommendations:
- Read with someone else. Reading out loud to your child or your partner is a great way to make reading more fun, as you can dramatize what you’re reading and feel more connected to a loved one.
- Keep a list of books you’re excited about. If you have a list of books you think you’ll enjoy ready, you’re more likely to pick one up the next time you have an opportunity. Walking into a library or bookstore can be overwhelming if you aren’t sure what you’re looking for, so it’s best to have some idea of what you think you’ll enjoy.
- Keep track of what you read. Seeing how much you’ve accomplished is always satisfying, so if you keep track of what you read in a journal or on a social media site such as Goodreads, you may be encouraged to read more.
- Read what you love. There are many different kinds of books and reading materials, so you shouldn’t ever feel pressured to read something you don’t enjoy. If you love nonfiction, read nonfiction. If you’re a lover of romance, read that. If you’re a fan of fanfiction, seek out fanfics that you enjoy.
- Ask your friends and family for recommendations. Those who love you and care about you will probably have a good idea of what you’d like, so if you don’t know where to start or what book to get, ask around.
- Get comfortable. One of the best things about reading is how cozy it can be, so make sure you’re in a comfortable position while reading for a more enjoyable experience.
Even if you don’t think you could ever find reading entertaining, I recommend implementing these tips and giving it a try. You may be surprised!
Books are great sources of entertainment because they offer readers pleasure, distraction, and amusement. Reading has many other benefits beyond providing entertainment, including strengthening the brain, increasing the ability to empathize, and reducing stress. If you don’t find reading entertaining, there are some steps you can take to start to enjoy reading more.